Thursday, August 6, 2015

Rise Up Together - A Student's Perspective



Initially going on the trip I was very anxious and tentative but I quickly got comfortable with everyone. I guess a 10 hour car ride will do that to people.

The first day in Detroit was very overwhelming; it was the first night of the ELCA Youth Gathering and we got to see what state the city of Detroit really was in. What I thought was very interesting and inspiring, was everyone still seemed very proud of their city. My favorite part of Detroit was moving 51 water-filled tires with Leslee Donovan. 


We then trekked to Chicago and it was so much different than Detroit. I never thought Chicago had 2 such distinct sides. There is the tourist side, ya know - Navy Pier, Lake Michigan and Millennium Park - which is obviously not where we were helping out. I also thought the place we helped was a richer more wholesome side of Chicago; one that does have more crime but also more pride in their city. They love their city! Working at the homeless shelter was a very eye opening experience. It made me change the impression I have of homeless people forever. Everyone always thinks that all homeless people are either crazy, drug addicts, or criminals. That's not the case at all. Obviously some are, but there are plenty of homeowners that are also crazy, drug addicts, or criminals. 

I was hugely impacted this trip with my faith, friends and just thoughts on life.  For example, what am I doing to make today better than yesterday? This trip really showed me the power of friendship and God, and with them both you can conquer anything you set your mind too. I had so much fun and I think my favorite parts of Detroit were the spoken word artist Natasha T. Miller.  She was so powerful and real and overall just amazing! I also loved the member of The Temptations who came with a few others and sang some classic Mo-Town songs. 

My favorite part of Chicago was just all my friends who were there to care for me when I needed their help and support - Thanks Squad. My other favorite part of Chicago was working with Johanna at the homeless shelter in the musty basement. 
After all of this, I would definitely recommend going on the next mission trip to anyone who's even marginally considering it. Do it!  I promise you, it will change your life for the better. 

Written by:
Adrian Schmalz

No comments:

Post a Comment